Friday, August 11, 2006

The Seventh Friend

This was put up by the Avista Hospital Pastoral Care Department:

When I was first diagnosed with cancer:
My first friend came and expressed shock by saying, "I can't believe that you have cancer; I always thought that you were active and healthy." He left and I felt alienated and somehow very different.
My second friend came and brought me information about treatments used for cancer and said, "Whatever you do, don't take chemotherapy. It's a poison." He left and I felt scared and confused.
My third friend came and tried to answer my "whys" with the statement, "Perhaps God is disciplining you for some sin in your life." He left and I felt guilty.
My fourth friend came and told me, "If your faith is great enough God will heal you." He left and I felt that my faith must be inadequate.
My fifth friend came and told me to remember, "All things work together for good." He left and I felt angry.
My sixth friend never came at all. I felt sad and alone.
My seventh friend came and held my hand and said, "I care. I'm here. I want to help you through this." He left and I felt loved.

Linda Mae Richardson, The Victory in the Valley.

Lord, remind us never to say to a patient, "There is nothing more I can do for you." We can always do something to care for a patient, even if we have nothing left effective for their particular disease.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?